Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I Am Not Poverty

I AM Not Poverty is a motivational message designed to “change negative thinking habits” in young people across Chicago. In most urban communities Poverty have changed forms from the physical to the “mental, emotional and spiritual” plane of existence that manifest in young people through violence, high drop out school rate, drug abuse, low self esteem and counter productivity in society.

I Am Not Poverty inspires, teach & motivate young people with stories, comedy and chants to be “conscious of their choices” “identify the root of failure” “practice positive thinking” “conflict resolution of the mind” and how to “develop & protect their pride, confidence and self-esteem.”

I Am Not Poverty is presented by Donte Fain, 29 year old entrepreneur, playwright, story teller, comedian and youth activist. Donte Fain at the age of 16 discovered the effects of poverty; “in the hood we believe that poverty is a perfect way of life; we live & eat for free, people are intimidated by us and we don’t have to work as hard as other people for the comforts that the hood provides. I changed when I realized that comfort doesn’t equate to success!”

Donte Fain following this revelation focus diligently on school, graduating from Sullivan H.S. and entering Truman than eventually Columbia College; while in college Donte at the age of 19 opened a small store front business “Gourmet Cheese & Carmel Popcorn” and after a successful 2 year run moved down the street to a 3 store front location to open up Noah’s Ark Teen Center that provided after school tutoring, mentoring, leadership & entrepreneurship development, basketball tournaments and television production for teenagers in the community. Due to no funding Noah’s Ark Teen Center closed after 8 years but Donte remained committed to inspiring teens with the message of “I Am Not Poverty” through other ventures; stage plays, concerts, dance competitions, mentoring, television and motivational speaking.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i need help getting my dream im a singer dancer and fashion desighner and i want my dream to come true

Ms.Marie said...

Hello,I don't know if you thought about it or not.but when I read about Noah's art,I heard in my spirit,Bring it Back and this time,it will be and remain,a word from the Lord.Be blessed